can I have this framed?

can I have this framed?

Monday, August 3, 2015

Take off the Slide!!... TEDESCHI TRUCKS BAND, TWICE! - Warner Theatre, Washington, DC & Pier Six Pavilion, Baltimore, MD - February 20th & August 1st, 2015

So I have several excuses for not writing in over 2 months...too much life living, a new job at Hill Country Barbecue in DC, no big deal. My posts have been more out of order than a VA hospital's records (too soon?). Anyway, I'm back.

Do you ever feel like you've done something so right that you are so happy with yourself because you literally couldn't have done better if you tried? Yeah - it doesn't happen to me much either. But there WAS that once in a blue moon time it happened in February when me and Dan the Man saw Tedeschi Trucks Band at Warner Theatre. AND on Saturday when we saw them AGAIN in Baltimore.

Tedeschi Trucks shows have been my good luck charm for arguably the best seats I've ever had at any concert. I've had the privilege of being able to see Tedeschi Trucks twice this year during 2 separate tours. My dad and I typically try to get each other gifts that involve some sort of activity: concert, travel, skydiving - ok maybe not skydiving, but definitely music. The first show in February was my belated birthday gift to Dan the Man in February during Tedeschi Trucks' recently annual winter tour of playing some of the most beautiful old theatres in the US. They played a 2 night stand at Warner Theatre, selling out both - I guess everyone else wants to see Derek Trucks rip as much as me. The seating was rather tight to a level of uncomfortable, but whatever - it's Warner Theatre. Dan the Man and I were about 10 rows back from the stage, center stage. Never had such good seats ever. Tedeschi Trucks is an 11-person monstrosity of rock, blues, soul and funk. Derek is a rightful heir to rock n' roll stardom, his uncle, Butch Trucks, a founding member and drummer of southern rock sensation the Allman Brothers Band. His bandmate and wife, Susan Tedeschi, is an angel of soul music - her voice is reminiscent of Bonnie Raitt. One of my favorite songs she does is a mashup of Angel from Montgomery (John Prine) and Sugaree (Grateful Dead).




The February show definitely offered fans more songs of note from their past two albums, but this August show was my resounding favorite for so many reasons.

Dan the Man again scored us fantastic seats, a little right of the stage. This time it was an outdoor pavilion show in Baltimore, and it was 85 degrees with little humidity. Anyone who lives in the DMV or has seen me play soccer or dance at Bonnaroo knows I'm no stranger to sweating. 85 degrees with no humidity = my friend. This was the Wheels of Soul tour, so naturally, soul legend Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings opened the show with a nice combo of gospel-soul-funk. Sharon Jones had the energy level and style of a young Tina Turner, but she was 60 years old. #lifegoals. The Dap Kings sported full suits which made Dan and I cringe.



Tedeschi Trucks started about 9:30 and played about an hour and a half set (I could have listened to them for 4 hours but whatever). They were definitely promoting their new album, to be released at the beginning of 2016 (title unknown) and played quite a few songs from that new album. One of the most exciting things about the night was a few new members of the band/standins. There were two major music festivals going on this weekend - Gathering of the Vibes and Lollapollooza - so I figured a few of their members might be playing other gigs. One of Dan and my favorite singers right now, Alecia Chakour, sang backup! She usually plays with Lettuce so it was very cool to see her and her constantly shaking hips in this setting.



They played Dan and my favorite song, Midnight in Harlem, as well as my personal fav, The Storm (mostly because it showcases Derek Trucks' crazy guitar playing prowess - minus the guitar slide). Dan waited all night for him to take the slide off and really rock, so he got his wish. 

The encore was probably the best thing I've ever seen. They brought Sharon Jones & Dap Kings back out for a total of 23 people on stage, and proceeded to play a melange of Sly & the Family Stone songs. If you know anything about me and my funky self, Sly is probably my favorite of all time. So I FREAKED OUT. I think it reminded me of the 2014 Superjam at Bonnaroo, which was my favorite show I've ever seen. Dan was up dancing and jammin' to Sly by the end of the night and I was on Cloud 9 for the next several hours. Well done, Dan the Man. Always a funky time :)






We had another musical adventure in mid-May of this year - the Chesapeake Bay Blues Fest - featuring Buddy Guy, Mingo Fishtrap, Jonny Lang, etc. More details about our fun-filled day at Sandy Point State Park to come soon.


1 comment: