can I have this framed?

can I have this framed?

Friday, December 12, 2014

A Little Bit Softer Now... Nora's Americana Music obsession

Hello music friends! I'm not sure if it's the cold weather or the yoga practices I've been participating in lately, but I've recently noticed that my Pandora station rarely deviates from the Jason Isbell station. This has meant a resurgence in my love of Americana and alternative country music.

Jason Isbell was once the frontman for the ultimate alternative country band, the Drive-By Truckers. He's moved on to a wildly successful solo career, as well as playing with another more rootsy band called the 400 Unit.

Americana music has always been a favorite of mine - Dan the Man started me young on bands like Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Joni Mitchell, John Mellencamp and Bonnie Raitt. What I love about it is it takes the wonderful storytelling that you find in country music and removes the cheesiness and ungenuine qualities (generally, Americana musicians are much better, skilled musicians than that of other country music). Now, some of my favorite artists are in the Americana genre - Nicki Bluhm, Jason Isbell, Amos Lee, Ryan Adams, Ryan Bingham. All have powerful vocals with soothing acoustic sounds.

I love the sense of calm I feel when listening to Americana - since there's always a good story, it's like a really good, short podcast with awesome musicians. Even on the rock n' roll end of the Americana spectrum - bands like Nicki Bluhm and the Gramblers or the Black Crowes - its always easy to listen and makes me feel good. It incorporates all the elements of American music that I love - rock n' roll, some country twang in the slide guitar, R&B melodies in the piano and horn sections, the storytelling of folk music.

As we enter a cold season of semi-hibernation and holiday reflection, let yourself get cozy and enjoy some Americana sounds :)

Happy holidays friends!



Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit - Goddamn Lonely Love


Jason Isbell - Elephant


Amos Lee - Keep It Loose, Keep It Tight


Nicki Bluhm & the Gramblers - In the Mountains

No comments:

Post a Comment